Ask A RYAN Pro
Check our resource libraries to get more information about Lawn Care, Tree and Shrub Care, and Garden and Landscape Issues. If you still have questions for our grass experts and tree experts, you can read the frequently asked questions below or submit your own question.
- Is there a way to sterilize a Sweet Gum tree so it does not produce the balls?
- How far up do you trim trees?
- My very large oak tree is pushing up my front sidewalk, causing it to buckle and become a hazard. I need to fix the sidewalk, but don't want to endanger the beautiful tree. What do you suggest to minimize damage to the tree?
- I have an evergreen tree that I want to move from one house to another. Is it possible to transplant it, without killing it - it's about 15-20' tall now. If it is possible to do this, when is the best time of year and who do I get to do it?
- My tree has lots of roots at the surface of the lawn. Can I just cut them off and remove them?
- I have a maple in my front yard that is leaking sap from the branches. Is this a normal occurance?
- My pear tree has fire blight. What can I do?
- My tree was uprooted in the recent storm. Can you come out and stake it for me?
- Do you have any suggestions on how to treat spots made from dog urination?
- I am very concerned about all of the weeds that appeared after you seeded last fall.
- Does RYAN suggest bagging or mulching grass clippings?
- How should we go about eradicating moles from our yard?
- How do you get rid of my lawn's chronic fungus problem?
- I just finished building a new home. What are my lawn options?
- When I walk through my back yard, or while mowing it, dozens of small white moths appear. Is this an indication of sod web worm?
- I'm going to overseed and verticut my lawn. Should I rake after the first pass, then seed and then verticut the second pass? Or should I seed, then do two passes with the verticutter without ever raking?
- I had sod laid 3 weeks ago (bluegrass), it's now about 3-4" high. When should I mow it? It stays pretty wet all day since I'm still watering it twice a day.
- As a current customer, with a dog, I am concerned with toxicity to my pet from the fertilizer and weed control. Do you have an organic program for lawn care?
- How short should I mow the lawn the first time this season?
- I have holes in my lawn all along my walkway and around the driveway. Are these caused by moles? I thought moles create 3-5" wide raised ridges that irregularly crisscross the lawn. Please help!
- How do I prepare a rose tree and hibiscus tree for winter?
- I have several knock out roses planted in the front of my home. They are about three feet tall and have beautiful blooms right now. I hate to cut them back but is this something I should do this fall? Can they be transplanted in fall or spring?
- I planted hyacinth and tulip bulbs a couple of weeks ago, and since it's been so warm, they are starting to come up. What should I do?
- What can I do about deer in my garden?